Do you have any good Queer YA books you could recommend? ( especially lesbian or trans ones?)
lesbian and gay representation:
- keeping you a secret by julie anne peters
- annie on my mind by nancy garden
- empress of the world by sara ryan
- will grayson, will grayson by john green and david levithan
- the mortal instruments series by cassandra clare
- the modern faerie tales trilogy by holly black
- the gemma doyle trilogy by libba bray (mostly implied, but there is some major presentation in the last book of the trilogy)
- luna by julie anne peters
anyone who knows of more should reblog this post and add to the list because i’m frustrated by the fact that i don’t know of more than this. i’ve read 400 books, and this is all i can think of.
Also some book list links—
And The Hub’s Guide to YA Novels with LGBTQ Characters. At the bottom of the post there is a link to more book lists and also check out the comment section for even more recs.
Also epicreads list of 25 Must-Read YA Books Featuring Gay Protagonists.
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
The Summer I Wasn’t Me
If You Could Be Mine
Everything Leads to You
Ask the Passengers
Lies We Tell Ourselves
Silhouette of a Sparrow
(I’ve heard Luna actually is really problematic so yeah you may want to look into that)
I Am J
Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
Hope that helps!
Oooh yay I like posts like this! First of all, I totally agree with everything that’s been said above. Second of all, we have a super long list of LGBTQ+ YA on our website BUT it is not very well done, and we are working on getting up a wiki with all these (and more) separated by genre & more accurate orientation/identity. Third of all, here are some of my favorites:
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual etc.:
- Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr (particularly in Ink Exchange and Radiant Shadows)
- Far From You by Tess Sharpe
- Ash by Malinda Lo
- The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
- (actually tbh pretty much everything by David Levithan)
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills is a definite must.
- Being Emily by Rachel Gold
- Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
- And I haven’t read it but I’ve heard that Beauty Queens by Libba Bray is pretty great.
This list is sorely missing bisexuality. Here is some Bi YA:
Frenemy of the People by Nora Olson
Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis
Adaptation and Inheritance by Malinda Low
Pantomime and Shadowplay by Laura Lam
Love In the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block
Bi-Normal by M.G. Higgins
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Coda by Emma Trevayne
Boyfriends With Girlfriends by Alex Sanchez
I’d also add Sparks by S.J. Adams as a bi-friendly lesbian book.
Pretty much anything by Julie Anne Peters. Most of her books contain or are about the LGBTQ community.